Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Total Recall

The Pitch: You know, more movies should be set on Mars. Someone get the Terminator


What Took Me So Long: I'm 90% sure I've seen this before (even though I remember next to nothing about it) so I didn't bother re-watching under the assumption that it must not've been that great if I forgot it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's Sci-Fi classic in that sort of campy, dated way. The mind-bending plot about not knowing what is and isn't real is unsettling even now and a great example of the cool kind of ideas that can be snuck into a Sci-Fi movie that is otherwise a generic action movie. Arnold Schwarzenegger has never been an actor of note but he is one hell of a movie star and this is as close to layered as he's ever been. There's some really delightfully hammy performances from Michael Ironside, Sharon Stone, and the rest of the cast but they are intentionally that way. Oh, and there's the three boobed woman. Win.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This movie is too famous for me not to have seen (or remembered) it so there's little working against me getting around to seeing it. The only thing I can say is that Sci-Fi is not my favorite genre so this movie isn't for me in general.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment