Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Delayed Reaction: 27 Dresses

The Pitch: You know what The Wedding Planner was missing? More dresses.


What Took Me So Long: It's tough to come up with an excuse to see a romantic comedy if none of the leads are draws for me. Even tougher because Katherine Heigl rubs me the wrong way as a lead.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) For all the difficulty getting around to seeing romantic comedies, I see a lot of them. They are simply too easy to digest, almost always have happy endings, and employ plenty of actors I like seeing. While Heigl is fairly off-putting in this, I found James Marsden to be predictably enjoyable. Malin Akerman is really comfortable playing a bitchy, spoiled sister. It's always nice seeing Judy Greer pop up but can we please find another character for her to play other than the best friend?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I did mention that Heigl wears me down, right? Honestly, I don't find her insufferable. There's even a charm to her, but overall, short of My Father, the Hero or Knocked Up, I can't see myself returning to something she is a lead in. Also, I was continually bothered by how I couldn't see Heigl and Ackerman as sisters. I just plain don't see it. Beyond these things, 'generic' is the worst thing I can say about this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment