Monday, July 22, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Armageddon

The Pitch: "Hi, I'm Michael Bay. I'd like some money to blow things up and film it. Someone call Aerosmith. I need a song."



What Took Me So Long: People really hate Michael Bay, so I have to kind of watch his stuff in secret it feels like, so it took some time to get a chance.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I actually like what Michael Bay does sometimes (Transformers or Pain & Gain, for instance). There are times when all I want is to see things blow up and no one gets more money to blow things up than he does. It's as simple as that and this is one of the highest grossing movies of the 90s so I suppose that means I'm not alone.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Sometimes though, I don't like what Micheal Bay does. This is one of those times. I don't get the conceit of the plot (why actual astronauts couldn't be trained, I'm not sure). It was hard for me to get over that. Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis can carry movies without a doubt but not this time. I don't want to shit on the movie too much because there's a lot of worse stuff out there, but this is certainly one that I'll give all the Bay haters. Deep Impact definitely wins this head to head in my book.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment