Saturday, July 27, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Ghostbusters II

The Pitch: Remember Ghostbusters?

What Took Me So Long: Full disclosure, I thought I'd seen this but the more I looked it up, the more I realized I actually hadn't. Otherwise, I'd've watched this years ago.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Ghostbusters is a comedy classic, one of those behemoth movies that dominated the pop culture landscape and is still iconic*. I'm always torn about sequels like this. On one hand, it always runs the risk of tarnishing the legacy of the first movie. On the other hand, Ghostbusters is ripe with franchise potential: characters that people love, timeless story, and limitless concept. That this movie couldn't match the heights of the first doesn't make it a disappointment. It is still pretty good. Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson play off each other well and watching this reminded me how much I'm missed Rick Moranis for the past decade plus.

*By the way, the top 12 of 1984, when Ghostbusters came out, in terms of pop culture, is about as strong as any year you are going to find.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's not that funny. This feels more like a sequel demanded by box office potential than having a solid story. It is by no means painful to watch, but it is obvious why it is not as revered as the original is.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment