Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Firm

The Pitch: What's more fun than corporate espionage? And in Tennessee, no less.


What Took Me So Long: Full disclosure, I had no idea how this wasn't Boiler Room, so, having seen that, I never bothered.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Obviously, if it is so highly regarded that NBC would adapt it to a TV show 20 years after its release, then it must be pretty good. Seriously though, this is a strong cast and came before people were able to get familiar with the beats of a Grisham adaptation. I also enjoyed the feeling that no one in the cast was safe after Gary Busey's character was killed off within a few minutes of being introduced. Tom Cruise's scene with the mafia at the end is impossible to not crack a smile at as well. It's clever.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Generally, movies that I see that are over 2 and a half hours have pirates in them or one ring to rule them all, not Wilford Brimley and some old southern lawyers. While it all comes together well, I spent a lot of the run time wondering why they couldn't trim this down at all.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment