Friday, July 26, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Shakespeare in Love

The Pitch: My name is Tom Stoppard and I have an idea for a movie about Shakespeare...what's that? Oh, you'll make it? Don't you need to know what it's about? No? Great.


What Took Me So Long: I am really tired of Shakespeare anything. Also, I had a hard time believing that it should've beat Life is Beautiful or Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture (I hold grudges).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) But it did win best picture and it was a gap in what I'd seen from that list (Now it goes back to 1985. You're next Out of Africa). Then there's those people who still bemoan Judi Dench winning Best Supporting Actress despite very little screen time. Really, there was just a lot a needed to understand about this movie. What I learned is that if you take away the name Shakespeare (just call him Bill, instead), you have a forgettable romantic comedy. I actually like romantic comedies for what they are worth so I found the movie charming. Joseph Fiennes is as good as any Shakespeare I've seen. Gwyneth Paltrow is ok. The rest of the British legion including Captain Barbosa, Dr. Mierzwiak, and M are all having fun delivering Stoppard's lines, as they should.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: In a vacuum, I'd have no regrets watching this. Sadly, it is a winner of 7 Oscars including the big one, so I came in with some expectations and they were not met. I'd say that's not their fault, but no movie accidentally wins an Oscar.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment