Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July Preview

June was intense and I kept my head above water barely. There were a couple smaller movies that slipped through the cracks (sorry The Bling Ring and Francis Ha) which is always going to happen for me, but it was at least very defined in terms of what I had to see. July is looking a lot different. There's a lot of movies coming out (total release count is probably fitting with the average, but the number that's I'm interested in is pretty staggering). There aren't any must-sees though. If I took a month off from seeing movies, I'd be a little bored, but there's nothing I'd be rushing to the theaters on August first to catch a showing of. All that really means is that my "locks" won't be as locked-in and how many movies I end up seeing with be in direct proportion to how much time I need to kill.

7/5

What's with that bird
The Lock: The Lone Ranger
Is it possible to be browbeat in to seeing a movie? If so, The Lone Ranger has done it. I don't think I've gone two weeks without seeing a trailer for it in 6 months. It's getting to the point that even if it bombs, I want to see it happen. Jerry Bruckheimer. Johnny Depp. It's pretty simple. Upside: Pirates 1. Downside: Pirates 4. That's enough to get me to see it.
Odds I'll See It: 90%

In Consideration:

It has something to do with water, I've determined.
The Way, Way Back - Yet another Sundance movie that I heard good things about. I like both Jim Rash and Nat Faxon as actors (writers too) and look at that cast. Seriously. Look at it. That's a lot of names. I'm scared of falling victim to the "too big to fail" mindset when applied to casting, but that is a mighty potent cocktail right there.
Odds I'll See It: 40%

Are there any ads for this not about the minions?
Despicable Me 2 - Truth be told, I find the minions fairly annoying. Outside of Pixar, I don't get around to seeing animated features too often. This is partly because I like seeing real actors and partly because I don't enjoy the feeling of being talked down to that is needed for most family/kids movies. Still, it is looking to be one of the biggest hits of the year...
Odds I'll See It: 30%


7/12

That can't be up to any good.
The Lock: Pacific Rim
Rock-em Sock-em Robots on crack is one of those quietly brewing behemoths. It looks to be simply insane in size. My only fear is that most people will look at it like Battleship or Cowboys & Aliens: something that sounds more like a joke than a good movie. Regardless, I'm sufficiently impressed by what I've seen so far.
Odds I'll See It: 65%

In Consideration:
 
Still having trouble seeing him as anything but Vince Howard.
Fruitvale Station - Another Sundance movie. No, THE Sundance movie of the year. I've heard basically nothing but great things about this, especially Michael B. Jordan's performance and that's probably enough to get me to pull double-duty the weekend this comes out.Odds I'll See It: 57%


You know what I always said the first movie was missing: someone from Twilight
Grown Ups 2 - The first movie was completely incompatible with my sensibilities. I try to avoid speaking about it in negative terms because I think my feeling are a matter of personal taste, but the mashup of hanging out and life-lessons was exhausting. Still, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, and David Spade are all people I quite like even if none of them can find a project that works for them (with very few exceptions). I want to mention it. Still, I see almost no situation in which I would see this.
Odds I'll See It: 5%


No way this can end well.
V/H/S 2 - Let's be honest. After my Evil Dead experience, I'm probably going to pass on seeing any horror movies for a while in theaters, although I very much enjoyed the first movie when I Netflixed it. Oh, and since it's been a trend, I should also note: another Sundance movie.
Odd I'll See It: 1% (mostly because I doubt it will expand to my town)

7/19
The Lock: None

In Consideration:

One of this guys simply doesn't fit with the others.
Red 2 - I want to see the first still. If I like it enough, I see no reason why I wouldn't see this. The cast is good. There's a fun tone to it. Oh, and this is a weak week.
Odds I'll See It: 45%


A little disappointed to see he isn't dressed as distinctively this time.
Only God Forgives - Drive is a really fun movie. One of those that started out underrated then became overrated and now is just polarizing. I'm curious to see how director, Nicolas Refn, and star, Ryan Gosling, work in round 2. I don't assume I'll be seeing this until Netflix, but I have a few weeks for my mind to change.
Odds I'll See It: 30%

There's no way she expected something good was going to happen doing this.
The Conjuring - Again, I'm hesitant to see scary movies in theater although this is more in the Ring mold than Saw. Most of what I've heard about this has more to do with it's rating and how awful the MPAA is than the actual content. Unless that changes, I doubt I'll be going out of my way for this.
Odds I'll See It: 25%

I have to assume Jeff Bridges wouldn't sign up for this if it wasn't better than it looks.
R.I.P.D. - I thought this movie was a Funny or Die short when I saw the first trailer. Granted, I would've thought the same thing about Men In Black. The only difference is, I'll be finding out how it compares when I watch it on video...but it has The Dude, so...
Odds I'll See It: 10%


Umm...what?
Turbo - Cars + A Bugs Life? I'll see some non-Pixar animated movies on occasion. The story of racing snails is not the story I expect to do this.
Odds I'll See It: 8%


7/26

I have no idea what is happening but I like it.
The Lock: The Wolverine
I'll be seeing this because I like X-Men movies in general. I'll be seeing this despite how god-awful X-Men Origins: Wolverine was. I thought I should make that clear. Based on First Class and rumblings I've heard in development for this, it sounds like they've learned their lesson. Still, I'd rather have my X-Men in an ensemble, not alone.
Odds I'll See It: 80%

In Consideration:

If I knew nothing else about this movie, this would be enough.
The To Do List - Aubrey Plaza was really good in Safety Not Guaranteed: another movie I think went from underrated to overrated. Beyond her being the star, The To Do List looks nothing like it. This has potential to be a stinker, but my support of Plaza is probably enough to get me to see this.
Odds I'll See It: 55%

No comments:

Post a Comment