Saturday, July 20, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Unstoppable

The Pitch: It's been too long since someone did a train movie. Someone call Captain Kirk...No, the young one.


What Took Me So Long: Would you believe that's it's tough to get excited about a train movie that doesn't involve a super villain mastermind or pact to kill people.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Let's start with the obvious: it was on. Denzel Washington is one of those actors who is always engaging, somehow doubly so when he's playing a character who doesn't give a fuck. As for Chris Pine, I'm still looking for that third marquee role for him (the other two, of course being Captain Kirk and Nicholas Devereaux). All in all, I thought is was interesting how casually they set everything in motion (get it) making it a series of little mistakes, not some master plan. It does what it can with the action, but there's a ceiling to how much excitement can be milked out of the situation.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It was a lot better than I expected. Then again, my expectations were low. That puts this as a middle of the pack movie. The most I'll ever head about it from someone is "Oh yeah, I think I saw that." There wasn't anything I could find to dislike, so by process of elimination, that means I liked it by default.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment