Thursday, July 18, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Stakeout

The Pitch: It's 1987. Why don't we have more buddy cop movies?


What Took Me So Long: Before seeing this on my club 50 list, I never knew it existed. That's a good reason, right?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Why a buddy cop movie is done right, it can be a very enjoyable way to kill a couple hours. It entertaining to see how they work around the really dull idea of a stakeout. The resolution, of course, is to add an element of romance, albeit in a fairly skeevy way. Richard Dreyfess can pull of pervy-charming though better than most. Emilio Estevez is an overall pretty generic straight man. I get the feeling they wrote the movie for Dreyfuss' character and had Estevez there because it can't be a buddy cop movie without a buddy.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The laughs were fairly muted although it's hard to say how much of that is because the style of comedy now is so much different than 25 years ago (then again, I take the stance of "funny is funny" but I'm trying to be forgiving). No, most of my issue with it comes from the creepiness of voyeurism becoming a love story. That's wrong.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment