Monday, July 15, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Notebook

The Pitch: Nicolas Sparks has another book. Get some attractive people and let's make this.


What took me so long: Stubbornness and generally speaking, a selling point for a movie is generally not "I cry whenever I get to the end" unless it's Old Yeller or Field of Dreams.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I've gone long enough in the dark about this pop culture phenomenon. Frankly, I don't get the big deal. Ryan Gosling is charming. Rachel McAdams as well. The plot is pretty bare-bones though. The only impressive parts were with Gena Rowlands and especially James Garner. Using them as the framing for the movie is definitely the touch of brilliance here, and I get why people get so torn up by the ending.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I said, there's not a lot to this movie and it's pretty by the books. The beats are all standard and I'm starting to relate more to the cuckolds in these sorts of movies, so I had trouble rooting for Gosling and McAdams. Old people make me sad (perhaps I should watch Coccoon), so that part of the movie was working against me from the beginning.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment