Friday, August 16, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Nell

The Pitch: Jodie Foster really wants to win another Oscar but doesn't want to remember a lot a lines to do it.


What Took Me So Long: Feral humans are only fun in The Jungle Book. This didn't demand my interest.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Because Donna said "Are you Nell, from the movie Nell?" and I wanted to get the reference. Jodie Foster is good in this, but it's such a transparent Oscar play that it's hard to see past. If watched the wrong way, this could be viewed [mean-spiritedly] as a comedy. So it has that going for it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I hate movies that exist only because the Oscars exist and this strikes me as one of those. It's like they knew the movie as a whole was lacking so they focused it more and more on how good Jodie Foster is in this and that couldn't overcome everything else.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment