Friday, August 2, 2013

Movie Reaction: The Way Way Back

Formula: Johnny Tsunami* meets any Fox Searchlight movie but let's go with Dan in Real Life or Little Miss Sunshine

*That's not the right movie, but until I remember one that fits** better, that'll do.
** Maybe Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I'd have to see it first to be sure***
*** Oh, how about this? The Freaks and Geeks Summer Vacation Movie told in modern times.


Why I Saw It: It's a comedy (+) written and directed by Jim Rash and Nat Faxon (++) with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Sam Rockwell, and others (+++) that got strong reviews from Sundance (++++).

Cast: To my knowledge, this is the first I've seen of Liam James. He's basically an out-of-place, down on himself youth: the standard coming of age protagonist. Beyond being awkward, there's not much special about him. Short of Marlee Matlin, I can't remember a lead character who uses as few words as him. He's the lense into this world. Steve Carell basically plays an asshole and very effectively. I used to have a hard time seeing how he could be anything but likable. After this, I no longer doubt his range. Toni Collette has a frustrating character although she keeps it very human. AnnaSophia Robb veers dangerously close into Manic Pixie Dream Girl territory. I do question why she would be so into James' character, but it's one of those things you don't dwell on too much. Allison Janney gets props for playing such a great lush. For me though, Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show. He is so perfectly affable and charming in this that I couldn't help but smile or laugh every time he opened his mouth.

Plot: It's a coming of age story about a closed off kid who comes out of his shell after getting a job at a local water park. A good deal of the charm is the characters who are diverse, imperfect, and impeccably cast. This movie is a lot like Little Miss Sunshine in that you can't describe what exactly works so well beyond that fact that it does. Nothing in the movie zigs when you expect it to zag. A lot of the conflicts read off like a checklist of requirements for this genre. It should also be noted this is a dramedy, not a straight comedy, which I was ok with more than I normally am.

Elephant in the Room: I don't get the title. Me neither. If anyone who sees this does get the title, please let me know. I figure it has something to do with him being in the back seat of the station wagon and the bookends of the movie are going to and from the beach town. Beyond the name "The Way Back" being taken, I don't get the choice of the title. Don't let that distract you too much however.

To Sum Things Up:
I loved this movie and unlike dozens of other movies I can think of that are better on a technical level, I see this as one that I will watch several more times in my life. It hit me in just the right way. Sometimes the ultimate judge of a movie is how you feel after watching it and I left the theater fully satisfied. For about an hour after I watched it, I had the Cheers theme song stuck in my head (fact: the movie has NOTHING to do with Cheers). It's one of those movies that has the job you wish you had when you were 14, the girl next door you wish the had, and the mentor you know would never exist. I don't know. I'm in a good mood right now and this movie is responsible for that. Make of that what you will.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment