Thursday, October 3, 2013

October Preview

Just as I hoped, it was a nice, slow September. The selection of movies was better than I expected and there's still a couple I'd like to see expand enough (Drinking Buddies, Hell Baby). October is looking consistent although not overstuffed.

MarchApril | May | June | July | August | September 
10/4

The Lock: Gravity
I'm sure you've seen a preview for this by now. It looks like one big, expensive Hollywood art project. I've been waiting for Sandra Bullock to prove her Oscar win wasn't a fluke and George Clooney's Oscar grab movies tend to be pretty good. I like what director Alfonso Cauron did with Children of Men and this is his first movie since that in 2006. I've heard rave reviews for this and badly want to see this on the biggest screen I can find.
Odds I'll See It: 90%

In Consideration:
 Runner Runner - Don't you get the sense that this movie is going to take itself too seriously? I like Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck still has that Oscar sheen on him that makes anything he does look a little better. Still, this sounds like an online poker version of Sliders and after the trainwreck that was In Time, I'm not sure J.T. has my benefit of the doubt in this genre.
Odds I'll See It: 5%

A.C.O.D. [Limited] - AKA Adult Children of Divorce. Starring Adam Scott with Amy Pohler as his step mom, Richard Jenkins, Catherine O'Hara, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and the list goes on. This looks like one of those movies that is billed as a comedy but is maybe better called a dramady. It probably won't make it to my neck of the woods anyway so I see Netflix in its future.
Odds I'll See It: 42% (if it expands enough)

10/11

The Lock: Captain Phillips
I'm a little surprised how much Oscar buzz this is getting for Tom Hanks. This is from the director of some Bourne movies and this looks like a pretty standard thriller. Is Tom Hanks enough to warrant award consideration on his own? I think it looks pretty good though, so I'm all for it.
Odds I'll See It: 77%

In Consideration:
Machete Kills - I'm yet to see the first movie and that will be my primary reason for not seeing this. This is one of those beautifully eclectic casts that ranges from Mel Gibson to Vanessa Hudgens to Lady Gaga. I have no idea what it is about but it looks like it will be insane.
Odds I'll See It: 37%

Romeo and Juliet [Limited] - It has the girl from True Grit...I won't be seeing this. Figured I should mention it to let people know they are finally making a movie out of this often ignored Shakespeare play.
Odds I'll See It: 0%

10/18

The Lock: 12 Years as a Slave [Limited]
The question here is when. The 1800s slave picture is the current front-runner for the Oscar. It kind of sounds like the Director of Shame is doing his version of Django Unchained. I'm curious to see whether the buzz is due to white guilt or if it really is that good. I've heard a lot of early praise about Chiwetel Ejiofor's performance.
Odds I'll See It: 80% (It's a matter of when, not if)

In Consideration: 
Carrie - If I see this it will be entirely because for Chloe Moretz. I'm rooting for her to come out of this child actor thing the right way because few actors in Hollywood (male or female, young or old) have be as reliable as her in the past five years. I do worry that there's no way remaking such a well known and iconic horror movie can turn out well. We'll see.
Odds I'll See It: 50%

Escape Plan - I saw The Last Stand, so I can't laugh off the possibility that I would see this Arnold Schwartzenegger/Slyvester Stallone joint. Then again, I would rather my weekly streak end than pay to see this.
Odds I'll See It: 2%

The Fifth Estate - The reviews for this Wiki-Leaks drama have been tepid. I haven't even heard the standard "at least the acting was good" line when critics want to find something to compliment. Mostly though, an albino-looking Benedict Cumberbatch freaks me out and will probably keep me away.
Odds I'll See It: 15%

All Is Lost [Limited] - Let's see, Life of Pi without the tiger. It a crowded Fall and holiday season this will have to pull some major award nomination for me to even bother before it's on video.
Odds I'll See It: 7%

10/25

The Lock: The Cousellor
Directed by Ridley Scott. An original screenplay written by a guy with a Pulitzer prize. Michael Fassbender, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, and Brad Pitt in front of the camera. That's a lot of credentials all-around and the movie looks cool as hell. I'm not sure it'll be reinventing the drug cartel movie but I'm happy as long as it's a solid entry in it.
Odds I'll See It: 69%

In Consideration: 
Bad Grandpa - I'll admit it. I like the Jack-Ass movies. When it's a couple of dumbasses playing pranks on one another or pulling stupid stunts, I can laugh at that. I absolutely cannot stand when the jokes are being played on innocent people. I don't find it funny at all and that looks to be what Bad Grandpa is doing. Short of this being a huge hit (See: Borat), I can't see a situation in which I would ever see this, let alone in theaters.
Odds I'll See It: <1%


Blue is the Warmest Color [Limited] - I'm not too insecure to admit that Cannes tends to be a little artsy for my taste and this Cannes darling looks to be in that mold. I'm moderately curious about this French lesbian love story but the potential for it to play out like The Tree of Life is likely enough to keep me from trying this out in theaters (if it even expands here).
Odds I'll See It: 10%

No comments:

Post a Comment