Sunday, October 13, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

The Pitch: Ya-Ya! It's like a slightly happier Steel Magnolias.
What Took Me So Long: Ya-Ya! When something is this fiercely targeted to women, I'm a little scared to watch it even if I shouldn't be.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Ya-Ya! This was much funnier than I expected. Almost everything with Fionnula Flanagan, Cherry Jones, and Maggie Smith was laugh out loud funny. Ellen Burstyn got to play up the funny parts of her character. Ashley Judd got the more dramatic ends. I was surprised to see how much of the time Sandra Bullock spent as the straight-woman given her proclivity for pratfalls.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ya-Ya! I don't understand where it is written that a movie like this has to have some dark, dramatic moment that brings the wave of laughter crashing down. Can't this movie be funny, then pay the smallest amount of lip service to the darker things? It creates this two-headed monster of a movie that polarizes my feelings about it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment