Sunday, October 27, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Dirty Dancing

The Pitch: Live action dancing Lady and the Tramp with this dreamy guy and the sister from Ferris Bueller on board.

What Took Me So Long: Dancing movies aren't my taste, but still, I don't know how I never got around to seeing this before now.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's a classic of the 80s, so it is my pop culture responsibility to see it. In cinema, it sort of acts like the bridge to get from Grease to Step Up. I honestly didn't know that it wasn't set in the 80s, but that makes sense because people seem to need an excuse for the dancing to be rigid, be it living in a Pentecostal town, being set in the 50s, or my favorite, it's all white people. I'm a little surprised this movie didn't make Jennifer Grey a bigger star, at least for a while, because she isn't bad in this. And, Patick Swayze certainly earns the star turn he got from this.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Dance movies aren't my taste. The plot is almost always the same and seeing some dance moves is rarely a sufficient climax for me. This sure did have a killer soundtrack though. Is it just me, or was that a trend in the 80s?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment