Saturday, October 5, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Living Daylights

The Pitch: It's 1987 and we want to make a Bond movie.
What Took Me So Long: I tend to forget which Bond movies I have and have not seen.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) At it turns out, this was one of the Bond movies I hadn't seen yet. I'd like to find something to say about it, but it's a classic Bond movie. They tend to have the same beats every time. I will say, Dalton is a good Bond. He's got his own demeanor and it works for him, although I appreciate a little more snark from the character. The movie sure reminds me how much I miss having the Soviets as natural foils. They keep having to be creative creating criminal syndicates or something. Back in the 80s, you'd call a guy Koskov and of course he's a villain.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The Bond franchise is hardly my favorite. I like the movies and they are fun time capsules, but I'm not one to gush about them. Of what I've seen, like all long-running things that lived through the 80s (See Saturday Night Live), they hit some rough times before returning strong in the 90s (see Goldeneye).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment