Friday, October 25, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Paris is Burning

The Pitch: It's a documentary about the gay club scene in New York in the 80s. It's a low budget indie. I don't think there was ever a pitch for it so much as a description.

What Took Me So Long: A friend had me watch it. Otherwise, it could not have been less on my radar.

Why I Saw It: A friend had me watch it, mainly. It is certainly an informative documentary about a sub-culture I knew nothing about. In that respect, I learned a lot about things like shading and voguing. The people interviewed were unsurprisingly memorable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is one of those documentaries where the information is what's going to carry you. The overall quality of the film and editing is not great (probably due to budgetary restraints, but that doesn't change the fact). I'd say I have passing or mild interest in the mechanics of this very specific sub-culture, so it was ok.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment