Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Pitch: Remember that great 50s movie that had a lot of great social commentary? Let's remake that with a blockbuster budge but change the plot significantly enough for that to make sense.
What Took Me So Long: I have never heard a positive thing said about this movie other than "it really made me appreciate the original."

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I suppose there is a way to rejigger this movie so that it works similar to something like War of the Worlds and no doubt, that was the thinking behind this. I kept wanting this to get better because I like Jennifer Connely...and that's about it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Soooooooooo boring. I can think of absolutely no reason why anyone thought this was a good idea beyond the brand recognition of a killer title. The anti-war message that was at the center of the original is greatly diluted and what's left is some special effects that don't even look that good. I'm even giving Keanu Reeves a pass because where was there a character for him to play?

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment