Sunday, October 20, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Happening

The Pitch: War of the Worlds...without the war.
What Took Me So Long: I am so done caring about M. Night Shyamalan movies.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The build of an M. Night Shyamalan (referred to as MNS from here) has never been an issue. MNS can always raise some interesting questions and MNS can shoot it all pretty well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: MNS hasn't had a good payoff for a movie in years before and since this movie. For someone who is so tied to having twists in his movies, that's a bad sign. Seriously, the answer to this is "It's nature so we'll never know the answer." That's bullshit. I generally like Mark Wahlberg but he is not my pick for a high school biology teacher. He has more range than people give him credit for. This wasn't right though. I haven't checked the timeline, but this movie is right at Zooey Deschanel's turning point from dark sarcastic girl to, for lack of a better word, her "adorkable" phase, and you can really see why it happened. She is so bored from beginning to end in this. Like her character, she really wants to care, but can't find any reason to.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment