Thursday, October 17, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Liberal Arts

The Pitch: Ted Mosby goes back to college and meets a college student who is infatuated with him.
What Took Me So Long: There wasn't a chance to see it in theaters so I had to wait for it to at least get to Showtime.

Why I Saw It: I'm intrigued by Josh Radnor. For a long time, he was the only person from HIMYM who didn't have anything else going. He's taking the indie writer/director approach and letting me know that he's not as different from Ted Mosby as one might think. Happythankyoumoreplease was a little overcrowded for my taste, so it was nice to see this one a lot more focused. Casting Elizabeth Olsen is a move. Plenty of times in the movie she convincingly played like she was older than Radnor. And, I did like the overall end message of it, I suppose.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I didn't like a lot of the characters. Radnor is pretentious beyond belief (Note: I know he was supposed to be, but fuck) and I found his moments of everyman problems annoying. Olsen is one of those 19-yo college kids who think they know everything who I hated even when I was 19. It's hard to sympathize with his dilemma of whether to sleep with a beautiful, smart college girl or not. It also seems to suffer from Small World complex like a lot of indie movies, where he keeps running in to the same small selection of people which is a little tedious in the realm of believability. I'd say this movie is good enough to make me curious to see what he does next but bad enough to leave me not wanting to watch this again.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment