Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Haunted Mansion

The Pitch: Pirates of the Carribean made $300 million. Who's to say other popular rides won't?

What Took Me So Long: Eddie Murphy doesn't have the drawing power her did 30 years ago.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I really do like the ride, so it would at least be interesting to see how they integrate the elements of the it into a movie. Disney can do action like Pirates but horror is not in their brand, so this had to be a light movie, thus not that scary. Eddie Murphy is exactly what you'd want from him in a kids movie. He's loud and broad. The other members of the family are a checklist of the standard tropes. You have some character actor veterans like Wallace Shawn, Terence Stamp, and Jennifer Tilly who all get paychecks without working too hard, which is nice.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a family movie, so I sort of need to grade this on a curve. I'm glad that this stopped the trend to make rides into movies because 1) I think Pirates was a fluke and 2) it starts to kill the fun of the original rides. I didn't hate this as much as I expect. That is still a far cry from enjoying it though. Since they didn't go all the way with the scares, I almost wish there was more tongue-in-cheek-ness to it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment