Friday, October 11, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Hand that Rocks the Cradle

The Pitch: A widow tries to steal babies and kills a bunch of people, pretending to be a nanny*.

 *Ok, that's more of a plot description than a pitch but I didn't care to distinguish.
What Took Me So Long: Crazy white woman dramas aren't my thing.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This movie was a big hit. Like, a really big hit. Perhaps not earth shattering, but a Wreck-It-Ralph sized success. I had to know why. Rebecca De Mornay is legit crazy and it's a fun kind of put together, sociopath than Freddy Kruger (until the end). The guy from Ghostbusters goes half-tard, making me think he thought there was legit Oscar buzz behind this when he signed on. This certainly ranks in my top three Madeline Zima performances (along with Californication and The Nanny, of course).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I think a lot of the parts that I was supposed to take as being suspenseful mostly struck me as dull. It all plays off like a better quality Lifetime movie. It couldn't make up its mind about how effectively De Mornay integrates into the family: Is she seducing the husband? Is she turning the family against the wife/mother (Annabella Sciorra)? Is Julianne Moore going to get more screen time (at least, I kept wondering that)?

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment