Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Knowing

The Pitch: It's like the opposite of Signs, still with aliens though.
What Took Me So Long: I didn't know Rose Byrne was in it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It turns out that Rose Byrne is in it, which helps. The fun part of any apocalyptic movie like this is how it builds the mystery. Everything with the rocks. The codex the insane little girl made of all the tragedies. Decoding said codex. Building the suspense of that was fun enough.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The less fun part of any apocalyptic movie like this is how it pays off the build. Any good mystery needs a good answer to feel worth it. This didn't really have that. The ways that everything ties together is sloppy. Do the aliens cause the solar flair that destroys the earth? Why do they want to save human-kind? Why do they choose Nic Cage and Rose Byrne's children? Why does Byrne have to die a good deal before the end but I'm still with Cage until nearly the last frame? What's with the rocks? How did Byrne's mom know about all this? I'm sure a lot of these were answered, but obviously not very well since I don't remember the answers. Any answers that were given where the kind where the question came first and an answer was made that fit it. Generally speaking, having the answer first though makes a much more solid story. It hurts to say, but I can't even blame Nic Cage for what doesn't work in this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment