Saturday, October 19, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Rock

The Pitch: Sean Connery and Nic Cage escapes from Alcatraz and things blow up.
What Took Me So Long: The reason I saw it is the same reason I took so long to see it: Michael Bay.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I don't have the issue with Michael Bay that many people do. His movies have become one of those cool things to make fun of like Keanu Reeve's acting or Nickelback. There legitimacy to it, but largely, its overstated. The Rock, I think, works pretty well. It is an action movie with a pretty simple plot. It takes some very specific maneuvering to get there, but it's basically just Cage and Connery hamming it up while fighting bad guys in Alcatraz. Ed Harris also offers a more shaded villain than I expected. In general, Bay gets two things right: action and comic-relief, which is definitely the case here.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: If you've seen one Michael Bay movie, you've seen them all to some extent. While it was nice to watch this as the through-line from Bad Boys to Armageddon, it is hardly essential viewing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment