Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Far & Away

The Pitch: Poor boy and a rich girl go to America dreaming of the frontier, but Boston gets in the way.

What Took Me So Long: My first impulse when I hear Tom Cruise with an Irish accent is laughter, so I had to build my way up to this.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Despite everything, I like Tom Cruise. He is a good movie star and manages to carry whatever role he takes. Nicole Kidman continues a long tradition of spoiled rich girls who are cranky from beginning to end and the only reason the lead male still loves them has to be because she is crazy hot. Trust me, it's a longer tradition than the highly specific name would suggest. Of course, the good examples all escape me right now. That shouldn't negate my point. Despite how little is happening at any point in the movie I never was bored by it. I must credit it there.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This was kind of like Gangs of New York with less violence. That, in and of itself is not a bad thing. I can't say it made up for that with anything though. Cruise wants to kill Kidman's dad. Both flee to America. They go in to poverty. Cruise joins a fight club. They go their separate ways. Everyone meets up and gets some land. Nothing particularly engaging here.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment