Thursday, February 6, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Compliance

The Pitch: A story of a phone prank that goes too far. Based on a true story.

What Took Me So Long: It wasn't a movie I wanted to see in theaters so I waited for it on Netflix.

Why I Saw It: This is based on actual events that I'd read about a while before I knew there was a movie. The only thing that makes this movie work is that it's based on something that really happened. It's exaggerated, but not as much as you'd expect. It says a ton about people's tendency to comply to authority, to a pretty disturbing degree really. Ann Dowd manages to play her character believably which is quite a feat. Dreama Walker proves to have more range than I suspected based only on what I'd seen in Don't Trust the B... in Apt. 23.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I hate whenever a movie makes me feel guilty about someone getting naked in it, so that's a petty gripe, because Dreama Walker totally does and it's super uncomfortable. I'd say my only legitimate complaint is with how far beyond the actual events it goes. Everything up to naked jumping jacks, somehow, is true. I get the need to take it a step further since this is a movie and it helps to solidify the horror of it. At the same time, I think it pushes the concept past the point of reason. It is hard to believe that any of this happened, so anything that didn't actually take place naturally comes off as implausible.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment