Saturday, February 15, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Pretty in Pink

The Pitch: Sixteen Candles but switch out Anthony Michael Hall for Jon Cryer and some other basic tweaks.

What Took Me So Long: The thing with John Hughes movies is that they have a long shelf life, but if you don't see them before a certain age, it's tough to appreciate them.

Why I Saw It: It's been a while since I checked the official list, but I believe this is required viewing for anyone aspiring to be an 80s pop culture aficionado. I can see why. It positively screams 1985 or how history remembers that period. It's all bright and colorful with yuppies and punks and Molly Ringwald. What is more 80's than Molly Ringwald (R.I.P. Ringwalds' career 1990-Present)? There's a young James Spader, douching it up. Jon Cryer is...supposed to be a nerd in the movie, cool to us, right? Then there's the dreamy Andrew McCarthy.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The fact that she doesn't end up with Ducky is a "nice guys finish last" kick in the balls that I don't prefer but I suppose I get the point of it. Overall, the thing working against it, as I hinted at already is that I didn't grow up with it so all I can see is the messiness of it. Of course, it's one of those movies that is dangerous to speak ill of, so I will stop with that.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment