Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Oscar Prep: Score

A couple notes first:
-Each category is arrange from Most to Least likely to win by my measure.
-An '*' before the title indicates a movie that I have seen.
-I'm trying to keep the shorthand to a minimum (get it). A couple that come up though are BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts), SAG (Screen Actors Guild), PGA (Producers Guild of America, WGA (Writers Guild of America), DGA (Directors Guild of America).


Other Picks

Best Original Score
Front Runner: *Gravity
Winner: BAFTA – Music
Nominee: Golden Globes - Best Original Score

Certainly the most awarded score in the list. I wish I could remember the score better than I do. I believe I was pleased by it.

Dark Horse: The Book Thief
Nominee: Golden Globe - Best Original Score
Never ever ever count John Williams out. The man has 5 Oscar wins and 50-something nominations.

Other Nominees:
*Her
I'm surprised that neither the Globes or BAFTAs recognized this. Spike Jonze movies have a good ear for music and the score goes along with that.
*Saving Mr. Banks
Mary Poppins won an Oscar for its scoring. Why can't this?
*Philomena
Of the many things I enjoyed about this movie, I can't say the score comes to mind. I sense that the Oscar voters will feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment