Sunday, February 23, 2014

Oscar Prep: Shorts

Welcome. There's about a week left before the Academy Awards. I couldn't finish my "project" leading up to the awards this year, so I decided instead to go into way too much detail with my Oscar picks. Over the next week, I'll be posting something for all the categories.

A couple notes first:
-Each category is arrange from Most to Least likely to win by my measure.
-An '*' before the title indicates a movie that I have seen.
-I'm trying to keep the shorthand to a minimum (get it). A couple that come up though are BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts), SAG (Screen Actors Guild), PGA (Producers Guild of America, WGA (Writers Guild of America), DGA (Directors Guild of America).


Other Picks

Best Animated Short Film
Front Runner: *Get a Horse!
Winner: Annie Award - Best Animated Short Subject
Approximately the same number of people who have seen Frozen have seen this. In short (get it?), this delightful Mickey Mouse short has the exposure and in a category this unseen, that goes a long way.
Dark Horse: Room on the Broom
Nominee: Annie Award - Best Animated Special Production
The only other nominee recognized by the Annie Awards. That's gotta help it.
Other Nominees
Feral
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
I can't tell any of these apart. There is no reason to think that one has a better chance than the other.

Best Live Action Short Film
Front Runner: The Voorman Problem
Nominee: BAFTA - Best Short Film
The only nominee with any award recognition (film festivals not included because, well, there's too many of those to track).
Dark Horse: Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?
Why? Because I like the name. That's it.
Other Nominees:
That Wasn't Me
Just Before Losing Everything
Helium

Again, I have not seen any of these (my bad. scheduling issue) and none of them were nominated outside the Oscars so I have little or none to go off.

Best Documentary – Short Subject
Front Runner: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Dark Horse: CaveDigger
Other Nominees:
Facing Fear
Karma Has No Walls
Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall

As you can see, none of these have any major nominations to point to nor were any packaged with a feature release so all I can go off is the names since, again I didn't get around to seeing any of the shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment