Friday, February 14, 2014

DVR Purge: 2/9-2/13

The schedule has slowed down not that I'm caught up again (Thank you Olympics!). Of course, the return of House of Cards will complicate things. I doubt I'll be commenting on that though. Too much too quick and I don't offer much in that situation.


Past Purges

The Walking Dead "After"
I like this angle of splitting the group up. I wish it wouldn't've come so soon after leaving the group for the Governor's side quest because it feels like way too long since I've seen Darryl, for example, in any capacity. In a vacuum though, a good episode. Finally learning something about Michonne was nice and needed. I'm glad they didn't leave her on her own too long. The lone wolf thing has run its course. The focus on Carl was very interesting. First of all, when did he learn how to swear? That took me aback for a moment (in a good way). He's become one of the most interesting characters in that he is still learning about the world in general, even if there was no zombie apocalypse. The focus this week seemed to be on his limitations (can't knock down the door, unable to overpower a walker, too headstrong) and why he still needs Rick (who I didn't realize got that messed up in the prison battle). Mostly, I'd say what this episode did right is my biggest problem with the series: show, don't tell. There was a lot of character development without a lot of on the nose discussions about morality and what was going on in their heads (my biggest issue with the days on the farm). Excited for next week.

New Girl "Sister"
I should start off by saying that however long Linda Cardellini is going to stay on the show it not long enough. Abby is a very entertaining firestarter  and plays off Jess very well. The show is starting to feel a little crowded these days, which I'm ok with. I'm not sure what the end game is with Coach and Cece. I'm hoping I read this correctly as them ending the possibility of them getting together because I need Cece available. Schmidt tends to be way more likable when that's the case.
Favorite line: "Have you seen a girl who looks like me but with chaos in her eye?"

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Full Boyle"
A lot to love about a show that has completely hit its stride. Going in, I'd've assumed a Boyle-centric episode would wear on me quickly since he is such an extreme character. The fact that I enjoyed it is a credit to Joe Lo Truglio. He has (as do the writers) an excellent grasp on that character. Peralta was used well too. Andy Sambery reacting to all the things about the perfect date was priceless and I was glad he stayed on the course of protecting Boyle. Oh, and pepper spray is always funny when I'm not either involved party. The B stories involving Super Dan and the AAGLNYCPA both had their merit as well, which is my way of saying "I liked them and have nothing to say about them".

Cougar Town "Learning to Fly"
Big Tippy didn't last long, did she? Maybe I'm wrong. I'd kind of like to see a chart of the episode count for each glass. I assume I wasn't the only one annoyed by the logistics of Bobby being afraid on the green screen roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment