Monday, February 17, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Carlito's Way

The Pitch: What if Scarface lived, served 10 years in prison, got out on appeal, and tried to get out of the game?

What Took Me So Long: Ever since being disappointed by Scarface, I've been in no hurry to see De Palma features.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It was on and Al Pacino has the potential to do good work. I'd say this does a good job of capturing the dirty parts of the 70s. We see enough of what made Carlito such a legend and also plenty of why he wanted to get away from his old life. Sean Penn does a good enough job for me to ignore his makeup and hair. Penelope Ann Miller is good too even if I'm scared to do the math of her and Calito's relationship (24 year age difference!).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Sometimes I feel like if you've seen one Brian De Palma movie, you've seen them all. I think I'm supposed to find Carlito to be a more sympathetic character than I do. I have little room in my heart for people who get themselves into the same mess time and time again. Since I didn't care for any of the characters, it was hard for me to care about the movie at all.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment