Saturday, August 18, 2012

Movie Reaction: The Expendables 2

Editor's* Note: I decided to play the Expendables drinking game. That means, I bought a Medium coke, poured a flask of bourbon into it, and took a sip every time something ridiculous happened. Bad idea! 10 minutes in, things got a little hazy.

* HA! Editor. That's rich.

Formula: Grown Ups + Guns...a lot of guns.



Cast: My god, in 1988, I would be having a total MANgasm watching this. Now though...well, they knew exactly what they were doing casting this. I won't bother going over who is in it because no one expects that. You know that guy in that movie where a bunch of stuff explodes? He's in it. And, he kills a bunch of people.

Plot: Was there one? I'd be hard pressed to find one. If ever there was a franchise that I would say could benefit from being directed by Michael Bay (and I mean that as a compliment), this would probably be it. I literally just saw it, but I couldn't tell you what it was about. Then again, I can describe every action sequence, so, no surprise here, it's that kind of movie.

Elephant in the Room: Isn't this movie pretty ridiculous and stupid? You betcha! This movie has absolutely no value to the history of cinema or society as a whole or even a subset of society as a microcosm of our culture. It is completely without merit in nearly every category. Still, it knows it and it embraces it like few movies you will ever see. It is ridiculous, stupid fun. I really do respect a movie that is this "in your face" about what it is and doesn't pull any punches.

To Sum Things Up:
Don't see this. That's what you want to hear and it's the truth. Then again, if you are looking for a stupid as hell, ridiculous good time, you have your movie. I really didn't like this movie very much, but the tone of this Reaction is pretty favorable. The reason is, when you have something this self-aware of how bad it is, how can you throw any honest criticism toward it?

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment