Sunday, August 12, 2012

Movie Reaction: Hope Springs

Formula: Any Romantic Comedy relationship + 31 years
Something's Gotta Give - the young people.
It's Complicated / (1 male suitor)
I don't know, what the mathematical way to say "It's the antithesis of How High"?)


Cast: If you put Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones in front of a camera, you are getting quality. Plain and simple. Add in Steve Carrell playing it completely straight and I like what I'm getting. Beyond those three, there isn't much more to the cast. It's surprisingly small in scope in that way.

Plot: It's a plot about 60-somethings with sex problems. But, it's funny, so, yeah. No surprises in this one. The beginning, middle, and end are all exactly what you expect. This is not said in a diminishing way. It's just, you know if this is your kind of movie already. It won't turn you. It's a sweet movie though.

Elephant in the Room: It's a plot about 60-somethings with sex problems. How can I say this nicely?...Eww. Sure, that might be mean, but it's true. I was a little out of my element there. Still probably better than Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (or whatever it's called).

To Sum Things Up:
Your parents will like it. You will sort of enjoy it. Your kids will be sad you didn't see Ice Age instead. I only saw it because I like to make an unexpected pick every once in a while and I was also curious to confirm the audience of this movie (btw, I was the youngest person by about 20 years in a fairly full theater). I don't regret seeing it, but I do sort of regret seeing it when there were a lot of other things I wanted to see more.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment