Monday, August 31, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Hurricane

What I Guessed It Was About: I know the Bob Dylan song pretty well, so I think I know the story of the Hurricane.
How I Came Into It: I really love the Bob Dylan song. That is the extent of my knowledge of the man though. I thought I heard something about this movie inspiring Will Smith to make sure her got the Ali role or something like that. I know this was a very coveted role at the time. I wondered why I've never heard of the movie before looking it up for this project of mine. Was it bad? Was it forgettable? Is this one of those freak movies that for whatever the reason simply escaped my awareness for years? Have I really been inadvertently avoiding all Denzel Washington movies?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This gets into the question of what makes a good biopic. Denzel Washington is great as Rubin Carter. As a movie character, he is a specific presence. He is wise and he is ruined. The relationship that he develops with Lesra and the Canadians is the beating heart of the movie. I appreciate how much the film leans into playing the Bob Dylan song. I know it so well, that any time they talked about the crime, I hear the line relating to the event in the song. Without the song, you could easily halve my enjoyment of the movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: If doing right by the person the biopic is about makes a good biopic, then this is a great one. If sticking to the facts is important to you, this leaves a lot to be desired. There's a very slanted view to this that I had trouble with. I don't need the movie to be completely true, but I do need it to be honest. Be it the fight at the beginning going to the other guy or the level to which the police conspire to put Rubin Carter in jail, the world is out to get him. Frankly, I don't buy it. I think he's innocent. That doesn't mean I have to think he's superhuman. Oh, and this drags in the second act badly. I did like the movie though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment