Friday, August 21, 2015

Weekly 10: 8/14-8/20

Another week of a lot of movies. I can't wait for a month from now when the amount of good shows on justifies this weekly post.


The Wire Season 4
There's not much left to say about this series that hasn't been said already. I think I'm the most impressed by the management of resources. They can sideline a Dominic West for an entire season, move someone like Jim True-Frost, who was not used as a major character in the first three years to the forefront, and have one of the all-time great seasons of TV. I can't think of another show that would think to do that.

Primer
I finally decided to give this one a try. At first, I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about...and then I did. Wow. My brain is still trying to parse out the timelines by the end.

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Semi-Formal"
Returned from last week:
1) Farkle's still dressing cooler.
2) The Maya/Lucas 'shipping, and I'm oddly not bothered by it so far.
Returned from Boy Meets World:
1) Jack.
2) "Underpants!"
3) "RA-CHEL!!!"
Returning in future episodes, I hope:
1) Maya talking like an old-timey reporter.

The Man From UNCLE
It's August. I don't expect much from movies. As long as it's charming and funny, I'm happy to see it.

Man on Wire
Another movie I finally got around to watching. Just seeing still shots of the guy walking over the World Trade Center on a wire was enough to unsettle me. I have no idea how I will handle see The Walk with Joseph Gordon Levitt in IMAX later this year.

Hannibal "...And the Beast from the Sea"
At first, I was bothered that the Red Dragon wasn't getting a whole season. I'm realizing that it works better in fewer episodes. More than what they're doing would be too drawn out.

Take This Waltz
I watched this a while back and it gnawed at me for a while. I finally got around to seeing it again. That's a rough movie. I especially feel bad for Seth Rogen's character, but Michelle Williams too, and even Sarah Silverman. It's a really good movie.

Show Me a Hero Episodes 1 & 2
People in Yonkers really didn't want public housing in their city. I was warned not to look it up on Wikipedia, but I really want to know what goes down with this, even if it's nothing.

The Jim Gaffigan Show "Go Shorty, It's Your Birthday"
I'm loving this recurring Macaulay Culkin joke.

Sixth Man
I'm not totally sure why I watched this documentary about UK basketball fans. It wasn't that great. I must really be ready for basketball season to start back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment