Sunday, August 16, 2015

Delayed Reaction: To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

What I Guessed It Was About: Three drag queens go on a road trip and clash with locals along the way.
How I Came Into It: I spent years confusing this with The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, which I think is totally forgivable. More than anything, I was worried by how this would age.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I was surprised by how good Wesley Snipes, Patrick Swayze, and John Leguizamo were. There was very little laughing at the characters unless they actually were cracking a joke or doing something funny. This is a great example of a movie that was sold on a notable premise and tried to build something deeper on top of it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure how much of the joke of the movie was supposed to be that the town didn't realize they were drag queens. I assumed from the first few minutes there that everyone immediately realized (because how could they not?) and didn't care. The climax seems to imply that the three leads thought they were fooling some people. 

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment