Saturday, August 1, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Atonement

What I Guessed It Was About: Pride & Prejudice but set a little bit later. (I don't have a lot of faith in Joe Wright's versatility, it seems).
How I Came Into It: Any poster art I've seen for this looks like the epitome of a period piece. I wasn't sure what it would be about, but I knew the characters would be dressed for it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I quite like this cast. This isn't the best work I've seen from Kiera Knightley or James McAvoy, but it is good work. I'm not sure if I agree that 13-year-old Saoirse Ronan was Oscar nominee good either. It's a hell of an introduction for her though. It's nice to see Juno Temple and Benedict Cumberbatch too. The art direction is as good as you'd expect for a Joe Wright film. The ending with an old Briony revealing the true ending of her story was quite touching.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I don't know how this filled two hours. I watched it and kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Briony as a kid misunderstands a few things, incorrectly accuses Robbie of rape, feels bad about it for an hour, then reveals the truth about the fallout from that. It's a good looking movie, but with a story that must've worked much better as a book.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment