Sunday, August 2, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Think Like a Man

What I Guessed It Was About: This is a movie about Kevin Hart's journey from ensemble player to dominating comedy force through a series of stories of women trying to keep the men they are dating by aping them as best they can.
How I Came Into It: This isn't that different of an idea. I've seen it numerous times. In fact, if you remove the fourth wall breaking from Two Can Play That Game, this is the same thing. I recognized a lot of the cast (3/4 of them are in About Last Night, which is another very similar movie). It's got Oscar nominee Taraji P. Henson, that guy from The 40 Year Old Virgin, Gabrielle "Never Ages" Union, Meagan "I've been following her since The Famous Jett Jackson" Good, and even a guy from Entourage. This is a lot of people I'm fine with being around.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This movie isn't reinventing the wheel. It's an ensemble comedy that relies heavily on tropes. So, that means it lives and dies on the actors. Luckily, the actors are all pretty likable. No story is a big drag on things, and even if one was, no story is the focus for too long anyway. It seems to know when it's taking itself too seriously or when something is plain stupid. This was incredibly easy to watch. Also, bonus points for making jokes about Tyler Perry movies.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The tie-in to the Steve Harvey book is not poorly handled, but it's still pretty shameless. Being an improvement on Why Did I Get Married or The Best Man Holiday isn't incredible praise either. It may be easy to watch, but it's also not worth going out of your way to watch. Had I never seen it, I wouldn't be missing out on anything.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment