Friday, August 28, 2015

Weekly 10: 8/21-8/27

This was a big week for watching movies until I got a free month of Showtime. You may notice that free month reflected in my shows over the next few weeks.


Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Creativity"
One of the funniest things about Girl Meets World is when they take up a cause. It's good that the show has things like this on its mind. They just do it so ham-handed that I can't take the central point seriously. The episode was funny enough otherwise. They are maintaining the one for us, one for them principle, which is all I ask.

Lock Up
Have you ever wondered what The Shawshank Redemption would look like as a bad movie?

Ask Me Anything
I'm becoming more of a Britt Robertson fan. This was a wholly forgettable indie movie until the last couple minutes. I'm still debating on if that should be able to salvage an entire movie, especially when the twist undermines everything that came before it.

Stand By Me
Well, this was a simply delightful movie. I'm not sure how I'd never seen it before. And I don't mean "I'd seen bits but not the whole thing". I hadn't seen this at all. I think that means my parents failed me growing up.

American Ultra
In a stoner movie, the fact that there is pot shouldn't be the entirety of the humor.

Shameless Season 4
I loved the first three seasons, but not enough to justify continuing a Showtime subscription. A friend power-binging the series convinced me to hunt it down. I found season 4 and devoured it in about a day. Now I'm looking for season 5.

The Wire Season 5
The is a great ending! I forgot how much I don't like long stretches of season 5 (Anything with McNulty faking the serial killer, for example). The ending is wholly satisfying though. Very happy that I decided to rewatch it.

Show Me a Hero Episodes 3 & 4
I made the mistake of looking up the Wikipedia page for this. So, now I know what it's leading up to. It's not that surprising really. I'm enjoying the escalation and transformation of this housing issue. The groundwork has been laid. I have high hopes for the conclusion this Sunday.

Public Morals "A Fine Line"
There's more than a decent chance that I'm only watching this show for Katrina Bowden and Lyndon Smith. The pilot has an odd tone. It has a TV-MA rating. Enough scenes feature moments to make that deserved (violence, showing some skin, language), but the overall tone of the show could easily be TV-14 or below. It's like it thinks it's on FX and in reality, very much belongs on TNT. I'll keep watching for now, because things are slow, and, as I said, Bowden and Smith.

Red Heat
The big mistake of this is the decision to take out all of the fun of Schwarzenegger's performance and think that Jim Belushi could make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment