Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: We're The Millers

What I Guessed It Was About: A pothead hires a fake family to get a ton of weed in an RV across the Mexico/US border. The fake family is made up of a stripper, a closeted boy, and a homeless girl. Guess what? Things don't go smoothly. Someone wants to kill them, of course annnnnnnd, hijinks.
How I Came Into It: I had no desire to see it when I first heard about it. The idea seemed broad. The only significant job for the director was Dodgeball (which I always got the sense had Ben Stiller doing a lot of back seat directing). Then this made a ton of money and I wasn't sure why. It would be fair to say that I didn't go into this movie expecting to like it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The movie has the casting down. Jason Sudeikis is a good comedy lead. I've heard him described as being like Chevy Chase and I think that's a fair comparison. Emma Roberts and Will Poulter are fine young actors. Jennifer Aniston has her fans. The rest of the world is fleshed out with Bit-Part All Stars like Nick Offerman, Kathryn Hahn, and Ed Helms. The movie earns its R-rating and is really consistent about what it wants to be.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What it wants to be isn't something that I have much interest in. It's a lot of farce, which I'm not a big fan of. I'd rather see a joke come out of being honest than a joke out of hiding something. All that stuff with the fake baby? Good god, no! It's a small world comedy where there's apparently only one road that anyone takes . Oh, and I'm not a big fan of Jennifer Aniston. At least, not in comedies like this. I don't remember the last time I found her funny. I think she's a good actress. She can even deliver a funny line. She's not the funny thing though, improving on a line. The humor in the movie didn't land with me. Any time the blooper real at the end is funnier than the movie, that's a problem.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment