Friday, August 14, 2015

Weekly 10: 8/7-8/13

I'm surprised that I managed to see so much, because the story this week has been all about my rewatch of The Wire. In short, it's been a good week.


True Detective Finale
I wish I wasn't so confounded by the story. The actors put in the needed effort. The direction was solid, but scattered. Individual beats were at times very thrilling. The story just lost me. It was too complex in the macro and not engaging in the micro. I still plan to be watching season 3, but that's to determine if season 1 or 2 was the outlier. Another season like this one and I'm out.

Disney Night (Up, The Great Mouse Detective, Hercules, Meet the Robinsons)
The idea for the night was "Everyone's favorite Disney animated feature". More or less, that's what we stuck to. It was a very solid lineup. That + all the movies I went through driving to and from Disney World earlier this year have served as a healthy refresher on everything that's right with those movies.

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Yearbook"
This was an excuse to let everyone play dress up. They all had fun with it. The question is, is this going to be for Farkle, what the first day of 7th grade was for Topanga back in the day? He didn't revert back to who he was by the end, so I wonder.

The Wire Season 3
One word: Hamsterdam. God I love that season. I watched almost the whole thing on Saturday alone and didn't really do anything else. Ok, that's a lie, I also ate way too many wings, but that has nothing to do with this.

Fantastic Four
Believe the hype. The people crucifying this movie are right to do so. Bummer.

Hannibal "...And the Woman Clothed in Sun"
I don't know the Red Dragon story well enough to really judge the execution of this. It has been interesting following a non-Hannibal villain for an extended time though. Not as a distraction like the Vergers, but as the other side of a story.

Rise of the Guardians
This is one of those quickly forgotten Dreamworks Animation movies and I see why.

The Jim Gaffigan Show "Super Great Daddy Day"
Like Jim Gaffigan the person, there's nothing edgy about this show although it's not entirely wholesome. It's structurally a completely traditional sitcom, yet I don't mind the beats at all. I knew every beat of the episode after the end of the first act and still enjoyed every bit of it. There's something to be commended about that.

Alien Nation
Wow. That's some subtle commentary right there.

Last Week Tonight
Given what we learned this week, it's amazing that anyone figures sex out right.

No comments:

Post a Comment