Thursday, January 1, 2015

January Movie Preview

That was exhausting. 11 movies in four weekends for December. I nearly burned myself out on going to the movies and that's saying something. I'm not completely in the clear yet. There's still plenty of movie expansions just waiting to busy a couple weekends. Thankfully, January should otherwise give me a break. There's not a lot coming up that I demand to see (No locks at all). It's not the barren wasteland it once was though. Let's get to it. 2015.


2014
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec

2013
MarApr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec


1/2
The Lock: None

Other Options:
A Most Violent Year
Working For It: I like Jessica Chastain and Oscar Isaac a lot. They are enough to pique my curiosity, regardless of the topic.
Working Against It: It's hard to believe that a drama about the cutthroat world of heating oil companies will be good. I'm told it is though.
Odds I'll See It: 47%

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death
Working For It: The first Woman in Black was generically scary enough. There's certainly worse ideas to franchise.
Working Against It: Well, "generically scary" isn't enough to leave me wanting more. Dropping Daniel Radcliffe and replacing him with no one of note is not a good sign.
Odds I'll See It: 21%

Leviathan
Working For It: It's a modern day reworking of the Book of Job, set in Russia and competed for the highest award at the Cannes Film Festival last year.
Working Against It: While I try to keep an open mind, Cannes selections and I don't always get along. Odds are, this never gets to a theater near me anyway.
Odds I'll See It: 7%

[Rec] 4: Apocalypse
Working For It: It has been too long since I've seen a good horror movie and the original [Rec] is still highly regarded.
Working Against It: I can't say I've heard anything about the subsequent sequels and I suspect that there's a reason for that.
Odds I'll See It: 3%

1/9
The Lock: Still None

Other Options:
Taken 3
Working For It: I really liked the original movie. Luckily, even though the second movie was a big disappointment, this is a franchise that doesn't need to do a lot to course correct. I'll give this another chance because I like Liam Nesson still.
Working Against It: Nesson has to be getting tired of this by now and his success rate has been low as of late. I hated Non-Stop and was thoroughly underwhelmed by Taken 2. I could very easily pass on this.
Odds I'll See It: 51%

1/16
The Lock: You guessed. None

Other Options:
Still Alice
Working For It: Julianne Moore plays a woman stricken by Alzheimers. Its premiere at one of the film festivals immediately propelled Moore to front runner in the lead actress race. That's enough to pique my curiosity.
Working Against It: I don't know much more about it than what I've already said, so there's always potential that I can find something out about it that derails my excitement.
Odds I'll See It: 56%

The Wedding Ringer
Working For It: Kevin Hart is a best man for hire. Sort of Hitch meets I Love You Man. Hart tends to work best as a prominent supporting character, so this looks like a good use of him: Make it Josh Gad's story but give Hart the most screen time.
Working Against It: The premise is not all that original, but what is these days? (a lot, actually) In January, I don't need my comedies to be great, just okay, and that's how good this looks.
Odds I'll See It: 37%

Blackhat
Working For It: Chris Hemsworth plays a hacker let out of prison to help the government take down a cyber terrorist. This is a chance for Hemsworth to test his bankability without Marvel.
Working Against It: Ignoring how poorly computer movies age in the first place, even with my limited understanding of computing and hacking, it's a hard sell making it all not look ridiculous. Perhaps someone has finally found a new angle, but that seems doubtful.
Odds I'll See It: 21%

Paddington
Working For It: A movie based on the children's books. It's hard to see how this will be anything other than exactly what you'd expect, given the title.
Working Against It: And what that title tells me is "Kids will like this. It won't be designed to appeal to adults. See something else that weekend".
Odds I'll See It: 9%

Spare Parts
Working For It: Hispanic high school students build a robot and beat MIT in a competition. That could be interesting.
Working Against It: Unless we are talking Battlebots, I'm not sure I care. It's also produced by George Lopez, who, while I don't hate his work, hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt from me.
Odds I'll See It: 2%

1/23
The Lock: Hey look, none.

Other Option:
Mortdecai
Working For It: Johnny Depp is going full-loon here. It's the sort of weird role that Depp seems to love to play. For all I know, this could have a great, warped sense of humor about it.
Working Against It: When was the last Johnny Depp film you really liked? The more I think about that, the sadder I get.
Odds I'll See It: 36%

The Boy Next Door
Working For It: I actually how no problems with Jennifer Lopez as an actress and thrillers can be fun. I don't see enough of them.
Working Against It: It's about a teacher who sleeps with a student and the student is the villain. This is a warped perspective, but I'm sure they'll make a point to say that he was 18 at the time or held back a few years so that Lopez isn't accidentally vilified.
Odds I'll See It: 12%

Black Sea
Working For It: Jude law in a submarine, looking for gold from the director of The Last King of Scotland. Could be good.
Working Against It: I haven't seen The Last King of Scotland, so that's not much of selling point for me. While this could be a tight and tense thriller,
Odds I'll See It: 10%

Mommy
Working For It: No big deal. Just a little winner of the Jury Prize at last year's Cannes Film Festival. Reviews I've seen insist that it is quite great.
Working Against It: I've seen a trailer though and it doesn't look that great. As I've said before too, Cannes and me don't necessarily get along.
Odds I'll See It: 8%

Red Army
Working For It: A documentary from Sundance about the USSR hockey teams. It's definitely a topic I know little about and could be interesting.
Working Against It: The fact that it's a documentary hurts my chance of seeing it in theaters, even if it actually expanded to where I am. This sounds like a Netflix movie.
Odds I'll See It: 6%

Strange Magic
Working For It: It's an animated movie about goblins and other creatures. The story actually came from George Lucas and he did write Star Wars.
Working Against It: He also wrote the Star Wars prequels. I wish that being made by LucasFilm and ILM was a bigger selling point.
Odds I'll See It: 4%

1/30
The Lock: A month of none.

Other Option:
Project Almanac
Working For It: Didn't I cover this last year? I don't remember the release being delayed. This found footage time hopping movie looks sort of potentially good though. I'm kind of hoping the schedule stays weak enough for me to make an excuse to see this.
Working Against It: When a movie that already had a throwaway release date gets bumped a year and changes its title, that a really bad sign.
Odds I'll See It: 54%

Black or White
Working For It: Kevin Costner and Octavia Spencer tackle race relations
Working Against It: I'm sorry, I meant to say that last thing as working against it. Apparently, this is not a very subtle movie.
Odds I'll See It: 3%

No comments:

Post a Comment