Thursday, January 29, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Set It Off

The Pitch: Lady bank robbers from the 'hood. What can go wrong?
How I Came Into It: I like the idea of doing an action movie with four black female leads and can't think of anything close to that in another movie. I went into this just liking it for that and hoping that it wouldn't be something like Waiting to Exhale, which I saw recently felt completely disconnected from.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The leads are all solid. Each of them has a story that plausibly leads them to robbing banks, and the actually robberies, especially when they go wrong are well shot. John C. McGinley makes the most of the thankless role of "white cop adversary", humanizing him as much as possible.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It sure takes a while to get going. I appreciate that they want to make sure we fully understand where each character is coming from, but there had to be a more efficient way to do it. I could've gone without the entire Blair Underwood subplot too, but that's just me. Ultimately, this feels a little dated, but not much differently than, say, Heat or Thelma & Louise, which isn't all bad.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment