Sunday, January 4, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Mama

The Pitch: It's less of a pitch than it is a horror movie checklist. I guess the "pitch" is "scary mom ghost".

What Took Me So Long: I think there's a rule somewhere that whenever an actress has a breakthrough role, she is required to have a horror movie she was in come out (See: Kendrick, Anna. Lawrence, Jennifer).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'm still looking for my go-to Jessica Chastain movie. The one that I really like and she's front and center in. The Help was good but not her movie. Zero Dark Thirty is fine, but I don't need to see it again. She's as good as could be hoped for in this, despite being painfully miscast as a punk rocker who essentially inherits her boyfriend's nieces. Mama is a reminder that you don't need "found footage" style to gets scares, as jump cuts and a soundtrack can do the trick with ease.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is pretty "by the books" horror. Scary kids. Ghosts. Dark roads. It's all there. When it gets to the climax, there's a real sense that the writers didn't know where to go from there, so the end kind of happens and that's it. This isn't a "special" horror movie, but it is a solid one.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment