Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Single, White Female

The Pitch: What if that crazy roommate really was crazy? and a sociopath? and driven to kill? and liked to be topless a lot?

What Took Me So Long: I assumed this would be more insufferably histrionic than it was. It played everything pretty big still, only less than I expected.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's quite a good slow burn. Seeing that the story has been spoofed much ever since* (Most recently, I've seen it in an episode of Psych), I assumed it would be much more overt about everything. Jennifer Jason Leigh goes full crazy by the end, but they do make a case for her, with Bridget Fonda screwing her over by getting back together with Steven Weber, and she is a good, albeit intense friend for a while. The amount of shading of Leigh's character is something you don't see often in this kind of movie and there isn't a reliance on her being a super-human villain. Everything she does is very plausible.

*I don't know if this movie was original or took beats from something before it as well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It bothered me a bit that Leigh is markedly shorter than Fonda, so I have a hard time believing people could be that confused when Leigh starts to copy Fonda. A couple more minutes in the conclusion would've been nice too. The neighbor's alive, so is he with Fonda now? What was even the point of bringing him back?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment