Sunday, January 11, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Rising Sun

The Pitch: I just researched a lot of Japanese culture. Get two of the biggest stars you can find and let's make a movie.
What Took Me So Long: I didn't know this movie existed, and even if I did, I wouldn't go out of my way to see something with Wesley Snipes.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There's a decent murder mystery here and the open-ended conclusion gives the whole film some layering. It's fun to see how Sean Connery plays off a co-star, especially in his old man days. With Snipes, he's the exhausted mentor and it plays well. Say what you will about Snipes, but he can do action.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What is it about Michael Crichton books that translate so poorly into movies? I'm sure the book is well researched, interesting, and complex. The movie comes off more like someone read a travel guide on Japanese culture then watched a few too many film noirs.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment