Monday, January 26, 2015

DVR Purge: 1/22-1/25

Nothing blew me away in the past few days but just about everything had a solid outing.

Past Purges 


Backstrom "Dragon Slayer"
I don't predict that I'll be watching this again. I don't want to be negative, so let's leave it at that.

Archer "The Archer Sanction"
So...Ireland isn't an Axis power?

Parenthood "We Made It Through the Night"

I missed the precredits part of the episode thanks to some odd choices in basketball broadcasting in my area. You know, the part of the episode that sets the rest of it up? As a result, I was lost through most of the first half of it. As has been the case all season, they are still building toward that finale. The school got its goodbye this week. I feel like that was Max's final big moment. I kind of wonder if that was the functional end of the Luncheonette and Julia and Joel's dramatic arc. I mean, you don't want to over stuff the finale, right?

Saturday Night Live "Blake Shelton"
I can't tell if this week was a case of Blake Shelton being a limited performer (in this context) or simply not being available enough to do more, but it was pretty light on him. He was fine though. I'd rather move Weekend Update for a moment. I think I'm going to like Colin Jost and Michael Che as the anchors. Like any good team, they need some time to figure things out and I think they're nearly there. Their angle seems to be bringing some edge back to Weekend Update. I didn't note the exact jokes (My bad) but there were a couple times when Che or Jost didn't even seem prepared for how cutting a punchline was (his own or the other's). Jost especially takes delight in pausing for an extra beat as he revels in the audience reaction to something he said. The still have a way to go with intergrating the guests into it, but I'm optimistic.

Mulaney "Power Moves"
I still don't like this show in any traditional, figurative, objective, or surrealist sense, but this is the closest I've come to liking an episode. It might've just been the Backstreet Boys song. Who knows? RIP Mulaney.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "The Defense Rests"
While I didn't grow all that attached to her, it'll be sad to see Eva Longoria go. She fit in well. Mostly, I'm happy that the episode added a new wrinkle to Holt's rivalry with Wunch. His attempts to be childish are great, such as setting auto-correct to change her name to "butt". It's so simple, so petty, and so satisfying.

Girls "Female Author"
Let's recap:
Hannah unleashed on he entire MFA program and probably sealed her fate there.
Marnie doesn't like being someone's mistress.
Shosh turned the world's best interview into the world's worst with an effectiveness generally reserved for Hannah.
Jessa needs a friend.
Adam is being surprisingly friendly to Jessa.
Ray can't turn Marnie down forever (and who can blame him).
Elijah is great at making friends fast.
And yes, I do think that Dakota Fanning wants to be Dakota Fanning.

Looking "Looking Top to Bottom"
Patrick and Kevin's thing is going to end badly. I have a bad feeling about this. It's going too well so far. That's a bad sign. I couldn't help but notice that Ricky is still hanging around. I wonder if there's any plans for him and Augustin. I hope not, but if it's well handled, I could be swayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment