Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Bridge to Terabithia

The Pitch: We want to make a movie that will send your 8 year old home crying.
How I Came Into It: I read the book in grade school and saw a play of it too. I've very familiar with it to say the least. What interested me more was seeing that it had a young Josh Hucherson and AnnaSophia Robb.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's a story about imagination, and that just doesn't get explored very much. That alone gave me an appreciation for the movie. The casting only looks better with time as Hucherson is kind of a big deal thanks to some movie franchise, Robb has already been the lead in her own TV show, and even little Bailee Madison keeps showing up in things (Trophy Wife chief among them).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I know it's not what you're supposed to say, but it was kind of Jesse's fault. No, he didn't cause her to die, but had he invited her along, she'd still be alive. Trust me, I get how hard a choice it is between Zooey Deschanel and AnnaSophia Robb, especially these days, but look what happens when he chose wrong. In all seriousness though, I'm not sure they developed his crush on Ms. Edmunds enough. It kind of came out of nowhere that he'd not opt to invite Leslie to the museum and it's even more confounding because she was out manic pixie dream girl-ing the very queen pixie in Dechanel. It doesn't help that the visual effects don't hold up very well. Time is a cruel mistress in that way. Regardless, these are small gripes for a solid kids movie that offers up a good cry.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment