Sunday, January 18, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Point Break

The Pitch: Bank robbing surfers, dude.
What Took Me So Long: I could never tell if people talked about it as a punchline or because it's pretty good. It exists in a weird space.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's stayed relevant in pop culture far longer than anyone could've expected at the time. The trifecta of Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, and Gary Busey is a perfect storm of sorts, each with their own baggage before and since. I can't quite put my finger on what about the movie works. I'll assume it has something to do with Kathryn Bigelow directing it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a stupid movie. There's no two ways about it. I mean, how can anyone watch the ending and not crack a smile? It's hard to get too worked up over the thought of surfers as a threat.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment