Friday, January 9, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Candyman

The Pitch: Let's create a new urban legend.

What Took Me So Long: I saw about half of this a year ago right as Netflix took it off the Instant Streaming. It finally came back, but I forgot enough that I had to start from the beginning.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) In one respect, I appreciate that the movie isn't at all concerned with explaining the Candyman. There's the urban legend and Virginia Madsen is able to research into where it began, but figuring out the Candyman as a being isn't bothered with. He's just scary and will win. That's the difference between horror as a mystery or thriller and horror that simply exists to scare.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Eventually, this lack of regard for understanding the Candyman becomes too much of an escape for the plot. He'll randomly help Madsen get out of the mental institution or cause her to wake up in a screaming woman's apartment. I get that it's meant to show how powerful he is, but it undercuts the attempts to tell a coherent story.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment